Thursday, March 19, 2009

Production Tip: Secrets of the Mix Engineers. 808 Kicks, Bass, And More...

I know a decent bit about mixing, but I like to turn to other producers and engineers for advice.  If you have ever been sitting in the studio, frustrated with your mix (like I do), here's a little article I found on mixing tips from the pros.  

Lately, I ran into a problem mixing 808 Kicks with a strong bassline.  The problem is that the frequencies are all in the low-end spectrum.  Without careful attention, this causes clashing between the bass and kick drum.  I found that putting a limiter/compressor on the 808 kick and cutting everything but the low frequencies and eq'ing the bass a little higher than normal seemed to work well for me.  

This is an interview of Jason Goldstein, the mixing engineer for some of Beyonce's recent hits.  Here he talks about how he mixed everything from the vocals, 808 kicks, bass, and more.  I found it extremely useful.


Sound on Sound Magazine Article:


1 comment:

Unknown said...

The best 808 samples are "Heavy Weight 808" from Sonic Playgrounds

http://www.sonicplaygrounds.com/store/p19/Heavy_Weight_808_Drums.html